With car rental options sometimes scarce and prices rising, travelers are looking into other options. One of these options that seems to pop up when searching for a rental is Turo (I hope their marketing team is paid well!) Let’s take a look at what actual users have to say about the company and experience, and how it differs from traditional car renting.
When it comes to booking a rental car, Turo seems to offer a unique experience compared to traditional rental companies. While traditional rental companies have standardized procedures and policies, Turo rentals are more personalized, as you’re renting a car from an individual owner. This is becoming a more popular business model- think RV Share, AirBnB, VRBO etc.
Turo’s booking process is generally straightforward. You can search for available cars in your area, filter results by various criteria such as car type, location, price, and owner ratings, and then book the car you want. Unlike traditional car rentals, Turo rentals often include insurance coverage and roadside assistance, so you don’t need to worry about purchasing these separately.
On the other hand, traditional rental companies often offer a wider range of car types and brands, and you can typically rent cars at the airport or other convenient locations. However, the booking process can be more complex, involving various fees, insurance options, and rental policies.
Another difference is that Turo requires you to provide your driver’s license and personal information to the car owner, while traditional rental companies typically require you to provide this information to the rental company itself.
Turo’s reviews include both positive and negative experiences, so let’s take a closer look at what some users have had to say.
On the positive side:
- “Turo is a game changer. Better cars, more convenient, and way cheaper than traditional rentals.” – Samantha D.
- “I’ve used Turo twice now and both times have been awesome. The cars were in great condition and the owners were super accommodating.” – Nick S.
- “I rented a Tesla for a weekend getaway and it was such a cool experience. The owner was really helpful in showing me how to use all the features.” – Sarah P.
However, not all experiences have been positive:
- “I rented a car that was supposed to be clean, but it was a mess inside. I had to spend the first 30 minutes of my rental cleaning it up.” – John R.
- “I rented a car for a road trip and the owner cancelled on me last minute. I had to scramble to find another rental.” – Lisa M.
- “The car I rented had a check engine light on the whole time. I was worried it was going to break down on me.” – Brian T.
It’s pretty clear that, like any service, Turo has both good and bad experiences. Just like with any hotel stay or AirBnB rental, things seem to come down to the actual owner behind the vehicle. Read, read, read reviews and if you’re feeling daring and get a great deal, give it a shot!
Have you used Turo? Would you consider trying it? Let me know in the comments!